Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thoughts on writing...

What is it that makes us choose a life of creative endeavor? I would answer that often it isn't a choice. It is a calling that we answer at some point along the way, and it is a path that has as many twists and turns as the most mountainous journey.

Often I am asked how to become a writer. There is no secret to this. Writers write. It's just that simple. The process can be invigorating. It can also be painful. But if you are a writer, you will put pen to paper. You have no other option, if you truly are a writer.

In my life I have often thought how other paths would have been easier. I have even considered heading down one or two of them, but in the end I am left with the knowledge that what I have been given is a gift, and to not treasure it, to avoid it, to turn my back on it as if it never existed, is an insult to whomever out there is in charge. It is a gift like an unruly puppy that must be trained and groomed and loved and disciplined. Without all of these we have a barking mongrel.

So I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment